1. Respect the human rights of the Uyghur people, in particular their right to life and freedom of religion and belief. This is especially so when human rights such as the right to life and freedom of religion and belief is not something that can be bestowed or taken away by a government but intrinsic in every person as part of human dignity and worth.
2. As the world and international community continues to witness and hear reports of gross abuses and the rapidly deteriorating situation of the Uyghurs, the Chinese government must desist and immediately stop the persecution and extreme repression of the Uyghur people.
3. The Chinese government must immediately end the use of “re-education” camps as hundreds of thousands of innocent Uyghurs have been rounded up by the Chinese authorities into these camps to suffer physical abuse, maltreatment and even torture. Some have been found to have vanished in these camps.
4. The government of China should respect and protect the rights and religious freedoms of ALL its citizens, and the Uyghurs of China deserve the same rights and protection given to other communities as well.
We, the undersigned organisations also call on the international community to do the following:
1. To increase the voices of protest and disfavour upon the Chinese government for acts and omissions that do not respect and uphold the human rights of all people, including the Uyghur people and other religious minorities or communities who are prevented from having the freedom of religion and belief and the rights to a meaningful life.
2. To work together to improve the situation for the Uyghur people through concrete actions that wholly accounts for the history, traditions, language, religion and the culture of the Uyghur people. Priority should be given to address attempts at force cultural assimilation that could quite possibly lead to the annihilation of Uyghur identity.
As the situation of the Uyghur people in Xinjiang (East Turkestan) and other religious minorities in other parts of China continues to worsen or deteriorate, we ask the people from all parts of the world to pray and take steps to care for the lives and well-being of the Uyghur people and other religious minorities that are persecuted and under threat from the Chinese government. At all cost, human rights violations that are pervasive such as persecution on cultural and religious grounds, arbitrary arrests and the silencing of peaceful dissent must be resisted and cannot be allowed to fester and ferment.
We also call on all governments to uphold and protect the rights of Uyghurs including those of Uyghur refugees who may have fled their country for fear of discrimination and unjustified persecution. Like other refugees, they too deserve the same protection and justice.
In furtherance of this purpose, we the undersigned organisation acknowledge and affirm this Memorandum of Protest.
5th of JULY 2019 / 2 ZULKAEDAH 1440